This is the story of what happens when a couple, a New Zealander and an American, decide to open a wine bar and wine shop on Duval Street in Key West. This is true account of the highs and lows of trying to start up a bar. Be ready over the weeks and months to experience the joy and drama.

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Valerie:
I have been so caught up in running the business I haven't been keeping up with this blog. I knew there would be a lot to keep us busy but it's taking me some time to get used to this feeling like I will always be 5 days behind everything...

This is the run down from the past month..

The place is be coming increasingly steady in there. I believe the novelty has worn off which means that everyone that has been in there recently have been because they choose to be. Guests have made Vinos part of their nightly stops. For that we are pleased.

Our wine selection are be coming refined and heading in the direction we want to be taking it. While it is a nonstop battle with keeping the selection recognizable but new and different to our customers it seems to be working. Everytime we introduce a new wine we contemplate whether anyone will be interested someone ends up enjoying a bottle. If we could just get through all the holiday wine shows without getting tipsy we'll be alright.

Life seems to happening fast around me and it's becoming hard to digest everything. We've already gone through Fantasy fest, parrotheads, and boat racing with Thanksgiving dashing around the corner. Last week my boss from my other job Louies backyard Pat passed away. I had a lot of respect for her as a person and business woman and it's hard to believe that she is gone. It reminds you how the people behind a business really make a place. In the week and half that she has been gone the place is changing rapidly. Selfishly I liked having one place remain unchanged for the two days I worked there.

One of the best thing that happening right now is the personal touch that Clayton and I are able to put into the business. The place can evolve around our personalities and tastes to become a collabration between two very different persons. Clayton has this attention to detail in considering little ways to make the customer happy. He's put a little valet station in the bathroom in case someone needs a tampon, breath mint, and sewing kit and added lap blankets for when the air chills over the winter. Every night he's constantly adjusting the music and lights to create the perfect atmosphere. I've been able to bring in some enjoyable events to Vinos for unique touch. Every sunday we set out a mimosa bar with different fruit and nectars and we've brought the cook off to Vinos. This is a chance to try some good food and raise money for local charities.

All and all the place is evolving nicely and starting to really play up to it's potential. There is still a lot of work to do but we are getting there...

2 comments:

  1. My boyfriend and I stopped in at Vino's twice during Powerboat Race week. We were very pleased with the atmosphere and wine choices. I look forward to becoming a "regular" at Vino's whenever I am in KW.

    Well done!

    Valarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would LOVE to pop over and say hi...

    ReplyDelete